Academic Achievements, 2020
The year 2020! What a year it has been. The global Coronavirus Pandemic has defined 2020. COVID19 has affected virtually all sectors of the economy. In early January, I received good news of a Visiting Fellowship at the Centre for African Studies (CAS) in Edinburgh. It was going to be an opportunity for me to complete my PhD research. I was looking forward to a great mentorship experience. The pandemic escalated in March forcing many countries to lockdown. I was not able to travel to Edinburgh but I was assured of that CAS was committed to the fellowship and would travel when the pandemic eases. I continued with my academic work including my PhD research, teaching and writing. One of the highlights of my teaching was transitioning to online learning in March, 2020.
Courses Taught in 2020
- Foreign Policy Analysis – Spring, 2020 – Daystar University
- Regionalism and Regional Integration in Africa – Spring, 2020 – Daystar University
- Research Methods in International Relations – Spring, 2020 – USIU Africa
- African International Relations – Summer, 2020 – USIU Africa
- International Financial Mechanism (Graduate) – Summer, 2020 – USIU Africa
- Studies in Contemporary International Crisis – Summer, 2020 – USIU Africa
My article “To Negotiate or Not-to Negotiate with the FDLR Rebels? President Kikwete and Tanzania’s Foreign Policy Towards Rwanda (2013-2015)” was accepted by The African Review (TARE). It will be published in the next issue in 2021.
Minde, Nicodemus (2020). Tanzania Citizens’ Sovereignty, Popular Participation and the EAC Integration and Democratization, in Korwa Adar et al (ed.), Popular Participation in the Integration of the East African Community: Eastafricannes and Eastafricanization. Washington: Lexington.
See link to book here.
Think Pieces and Op-Eds
- Mustakabali wa Maridhiano na Serikali ya Umoja wa Kitaifa Zanzibar – The Chanzo Initiative – 22 November 2020.
- How Magufuli has steered Tanzania down the road of an authoritarian one-party state – The Conversation – November, 2020.
- At the Edge of Democracy: What the Upcoming general election holds in store for Tanzania – The Conversation – August, 2020.
- The United Nations Security Council Seat and Kenya’s Assertive Foreign Policy – Kujenga Amani – September, 2020.
- Recalling Wagosi Wa Kaya Lyrical Activism – Medium 17 March 2020
- Gengetone Female Braggadocio: Sampling Sylvia Ssaru’s Gengetone Musical Lyricism – Medium 2 April 2020.